macOS Catalina added a new category of app permissions called "Screen Recordings". This prevents a user from being able to share their screen through an app until permission is given specifically for that app.
If you have NOT granted this permission, then if you try to share your screen through the Zoom app, there will be error images instead (showing an exclamation mark inside of a rectangle, instead of a preview of what you might be able to share):
During a session
1. If you are in a session and recieved the above error, click on the "Share" button anyway (lower right hand corner).
2. A pop up with appear with a button to "Open System Preferences". Click on that button.
3. This will open your System Preferences in a new window. It should automatically open to the "Security & Privacy" section, and hte "Privacy" tab, with the "Screen Recording" category selected. Click on the lock symbol in the lower left hand corner to make changes.
6. You will be prompted to enter the password for your computer. (The same password you use when you boot up your computer.) Then click "Unlock".
7. Once the preferences are unlocked, click on the checkbox next to "zoom.us". A prompt will appear to let you know that this setting will not be able to take effect you quit Zoom. Let the other person/people in your session know that you'll be right back, and then click "Quit Now".
- If you're the host of the session, be sure to click "Leave now", and NOT "End meeting for all". This will allow you to leave without forcing anyone else to have to reconnect.
8. Click on the lock symbol again to save your changes.
9. Re-enter your session. You will now be able to share your screen.
Outside of a session
1. Click on the Apple icon in the upper left hand corner of your computer's screen, and select "System Preferences".
2. In the window that appears, click on "Security & Privacy".
3. Scroll down the list on the left-hand side and select "Screen Recording". Then click on the lock symbol in the lower left hand corner to make changes.
4. You will be prompted to enter the password for your computer. (The same password you use when you boot up your computer.) Then click "Unlock".
5. Once the preferences are unlocked, click on the checkbox next to "zoom.us", and then the lock symbol to save changes. You will now be able to screenshare in your next session.
This article was last reviewed by our Support team on December 26, 2019.